Jewish Family Services (JFS) supports and strengthens lives throughout Greater Kansas City. We provide essential human services for people facing challenges in everyday life or times of crisis — regardless of faith, age, culture or lifestyle.
A highly-skilled and compassionate staff are dedicated to preserving the well-being, comfort, and dignity of others, always respecting the confidentiality of our clients. JFS proudly serves more than 7,000 people annually, over half of whom are not Jewish.
JFS provides a breadth of related services, with the goal of helping people in difficult times get back on their own feet. Our service areas are: Food Pantry, Case Management and Employment Coaches; Older Adult Services; Counseling & Mental Health Services;; and Chaplaincy & Spiritual Care.
JFS is guided by five principles that inform how we engage with each other and the community we serve.
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are stronger as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly and in a solution-oriented manner.
JFS is looking to expand our current board. We are seeking community members who are interested in supporting the work of a comprehensive human service agency committed to strengthening lives throughout Greater Kansas City.
Board Member Job Description
- Manage the agency’s mission, vision and purpose
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for the mission of JFS and its expanding role in addressing needs in our community..
- Create long-term strategy for implementation of the mission, vision and purpose
- Monitor the implementation of the agency’s strategic plan
- Hire and manage the Executive Director and provide oversight and support
- Review the agency’s financial statements, and assure financial viability of the agency
- Act as consultants in our own personal competencies when needed
- Serve as liaisons to the greater community of behalf of JFS
Expectations of Individual Board Members
- Enjoy sharing the good work of JFS out in the community.
- Know the agency’s mission, programs and staff
- Make a financial donation to the annual Friends Campaign based on personal capacity to give
- During second year of first term, consider making a commitment to JFS endowment initiative
- Host a table at one of the JFS Friends of the Family Events
- Attend all bi-monthly board meetings
- Bring your talents and experience to at least one board committee
- Other volunteer duties as agreed upon between board member and board chair.
Board Term / Meetings
There are openings for 3 year and 1 year terms. The board meets bimonthly on the 2nd Monday of the month. Meetings rotate between the offices in Overland Park and Kansas City (Brookside East).
If you are interested please send a note of interest and resume to Libby Tullis, Executive Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.