Volunteer leaders needed to create safe and healthy communities for children and families in Kansas, Missouri and beyond!
- Partnering for safe and healthy communities.
Volunteer leadership positions currently available:
- Founded in 1998, Cornerstones of Care is a behavioral healthcare nonprofit dedicated to improving the safety and health of children and families through three key areas: youth & family support, foster care & adoption, and education & trainings.
- Our trauma-informed Sanctuary Model approach to care, guides our work serving 15,000 children and families a year in communities across Kansas, Missouri and beyond.
- Cornerstones of Care’s work of responding to the needs of children and families dates back to 1870 when 20 philanthropic women organized to establish the Children’s Home of Kansas City. Their work reflects our long-standing commitment to creating community and ensuring the safety and well-being of children and families.
- More on the agency’s impact is available in our Community Impact Report.
- Cornerstones of Care Governing Board of Directors, 2023
- Cornerstones of Care Foundation Board of Directors, 2023
- Immediate Openings on Board Councils/Committees: Fundraising, Strategy, Programs, Risk Management & Audit, Finance & Investment and Governance/Nominations.
Current skill sets sought of board candidates:
Fundraising and Development
- We currently seeking candidates with the following key volunteer skill sets:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Current professional leadership competencies and expertise sought by board candidates:
- Information Technology and Data Security
- Real Estate
- Public Relations
Cornerstones of Care’s WIDE Initiative:
- Cornerstones of Care is committed to being a welcoming, inclusive, diverse and equitable (WIDE) environment for the children and families we serve. This includes the representation of volunteer leaders associated with the Governing Board, Foundation Board and Councils/Committees as part of our agency’s WIDE Initiatives.
- The agency is actively seeking to identify community members of color and LGBTQ+ community members who are moved by our mission and community impact, who have a lived experience, or who are interested in volunteer leadership and Board/Council-level engagement.
- For greater geographic representation of our service-area scope the agency wishes to engage more individuals who live or work in Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties, Kan., and Clay, Platte, Cass and Johnson Counties, Mo.
Term of board service:
- A board term is three years, with the opportunity for renewal, beginning in January.
- Council positions are one-year with the opportunity for renewal and may begin any time during the year.
Annual financial commitment:
- Individuals serving on the Board of Directors (Governing or Foundation) are asked to make an annual financial commitment to the organization, which is personally significant to them.
- Board members work with the development staff to annually secure at least $5,000 in financial support to the organization.
Board meeting schedule/location/time:
- The Board of Directors (Governing and Foundation) meets four-five times a year (winter, spring, summer, fall, year-end). Meetings are held at 5 p.m. during the week.
- New Board members attend an organizational orientation, with other new board members, led by staff, at a mutually agreed and scheduled convenient time, and are assigned a “board buddy” to help with the on-boarding and transition process during the first year of board service.
- Annually the Governing and Foundation Boards jointly meet to discuss organizational priorities, review strategic plan progress, adopt future planning and fundraising goals, with the executive leadership staff team.
Committee meeting requirements/time commitment:
- Each Board member is asked to serve on a Committee or Council, based on their personal/professional skills or interests. These Committees/Councils meet in between Board meetings, three to four times a year, with each meeting lasting 60-90 minutes. These are currently held virtually at 5 p.m. during the week.
Community event support:
- Board members are encouraged to participate in the community events and activities of the organization throughout the year at their convenience, as their schedule permits and based on personal/professional interests.
Name and contact information to learn more about Board/Council service:
- These events include: Savor the Sound (February), Thyme For Kids Plant Sale (April), Trivia Night (June), Tee It Up for Kids Top Golf Outing (August), Disc Golf Tournament (September), Pies for a Purpose (Oct/Nov) and the Spirit Gala (November).
Chad Harris, Ed.D., CAE
Interim President & CEO / Chief Development Officer
email@example.com / 816.674.1147
Cornerstones of Care – Hyde Park
300 E 36th Street, Kansas City, MO 64111