Elmwood Cemetery Foundation

Categories

Public/Societal BenefitBoard of DirectorsNonprofit Member

About Us

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Elmwood Cemetery opened in 1872 as a privately held cemetery, The Elmwood Cemetery Association. The land for Elmwood was taken from a portion of Judge Lucius Cary’s estate. The consecration for Elmwood occurred on September 8, 1872. In 1896 a group of Kansas City businessmen negotiated the purchase of Elmwood and created the not-for-profit Elmwood Cemetery Society. The new company was composed of men who were owners of lots in the cemetery including Kirkland B. Armour, S.B. Armour, A.R. Meyer, W.J. Smith and George H. Nettleton. Its beautifully landscaped grounds were designed by renowned architect George Kessler, the creator of Kansas City’s famed parks and boulevard system.

Elmwood Cemetery is Kansas City's second -oldest cemetery and is the final resting place for over 30,000 individuals, from politicians, business leaders, soldiers, celebrities, and every one in between. We still provide funeral and burial services. However, Elmwood's most important mission is to maintain the facilities and grounds of this historic site.

Images

Gallery Image 13741273685009677494(4).jpg
Gallery Image IMG_0705(4).jpg
Gallery Image IMG_0706.jpg
Gallery Image Screen_Shot_2022-10-30_at_8.15.33_AM(4).png
Gallery Image 0136(2).jpg
Gallery Image 0167(2).jpg
Gallery Image 0169(2).jpg
Gallery Image Elmwood_-_Mausoleums_1(1).jpg