Community or Economic DevelopmentBoard of DirectorsNonprofit Member
NorthWest Communities Development Corporation (NWCDC) was established in 1997. The organization originally served North Western Independence, currently many programs serve all of Independence and surrounding areas.
The mission statement of the NorthWest Communities Development Corporation (NWCDC) is to “build a vibrant community through advocacy and service”.
NWCDC has a variety of programs to help the community. These programs are:
• City Wide Home Repair Program
• Provides affordable housing in the neighborhood
• Maintain vacant properties in the area
• Own a 20-passenger bus.
• Prepare meals for Independence Meals-on-Wheels, and JobOne workshop
• Tabitha’s Closet which provide children with clothing for school
• Provides contract services with Mt. Washington Apts. (transportation, social activities and other supported services)
• Operate the Fairmount Community Center which offers programs for Seniors and the youth.
The NWCDC has been providing services for the community for 20 years. Programs were expanded when the Community Center was moved to the current location in 2009 with on-site meal preparation. The center has a commercial kitchen, free lending library, exercise equipment, meeting rooms and offices. The building is two stories with entry level parking lot and handicapped restrooms on each floor. The main office of NWCDC is located at the center, where the majority of the programs are offered. It is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.